Meet Dani Holmes-Kirk
She is 5 ft 8 and 29 years old
Current Weight: 167.2lbs (-50.2 lbs)
Goal Weight: 164 lbs
When did you start your journey and how long has it taken?
- I started my journey November 2, 2009 and I haven't loved every minute of it, but looking back I appreciate every minute. I would like to be at my goal weight by November 12, 2011, which is why 1 year wedding anniversary. Mainly because on November 18, we will be leaving for our honeymoon in Hawaii.
What are the top 5 food items in your house or fridge at all times?
- Silk Soy Milk - Vanilla
- Weight Watchers Ice Cream Candy Bars
- Healthy Life Wheat Muffins
- At least one fruit - bananas, apples or grapes
Favorite way to exercise?
- Running! I am an addict :) I had major back surgery in January so I was out of commission from exercising from December 2010 til May 2011. Since that point, I have not taken being active for granted. As soon as the doc gave me permission, I returned to running (June 2011) and completed my second-ever half marathon in August (August 14, 2011).
What is your favorite Mantra? Quote?
- Finish what I start. I think Bob says that on the Biggest Loser all the time. I repeated that to myself during each and every training run during my Half Marathon training!
- Just tried to keep the eye on the prize. You have to know the next day is a new day. There can be stretches (weeks or months), but you can push through and you will not gain back all the weight if you are off track for a week or two. For me, WW is always there for me when I am ready to get back on or break through a plateau.
- I always have the before pics engrained in my mind. That or I know I am held accountable my by blog/facebook/twitter supporters.
- Staying positive. I am my biggest critic and extremely negative on myself. I also don't take compliments well. So whenever someone compliments me on my accomplishments, I immediately come back with something I can improve on, that is wrong, etc. So my biggest struggle is being positive about myself and realizing how far I have come instead of focusing on where I need to go.
- Well, a vacation would be awesome, a new wardrobe, all the usual things. But, I am going to go with a tattoo of the celtic knot that symbolizes strength.
- My Wife
- My Weight Watcher Group
- My Blog Reaers
- My Friends
- My Facebook/Twitter Family
Email or Twitter: @IrishEyes1982
Facebook or Personal Website
I have filled this “about” section out many times – online dating sites, college applications, twitter bio, Facebook – and always write something different. I mean it really depends on what you are thinking in the moment right? Well here goes…
My name is Dani. I am 29. Born and Raised in Boston. Living in Chicago. Working in Sports. Loving life with my wife, Tori, and two pups, Molly and Laney.
Since this is mainly a blog about my journey with all things weight and health, I might as well give a little background on that.
I have struggled with my weight my whole life. Still have that picture of me on the beach in my teenie weenie yellow polka dot bikini with my little belly hanging out burned into my mind!
I first tried Weight Watchers in college. I never officially joined, but instead copied my friend’ points book and tried to track myself. It worked for awhile … until I got to my senior year. Put on a nice 50 lbs or so. Damn beer, pizza and fries!
2006 marked pretty much the worst year in my life to date. I suffered a painful break-up. I struggled with not one, but two eating disorders and some other personal issues and hit rock bottom. I lost a ton of pounds and hit my lowest weight in ages, but did it in a horrendously unhealthy way. *Looking back on those days I don’t know how I survived.*
I moved to Chicago in 2008 and put a lot of weight back on. Worked out like crazy, but never got the healthy eating part down. Also Midwesterners like two things: eating and drinking!
But finally in November of 2009, after looking at a picture of myself from Halloween, I made the decision to change. I was unhappy, uncomfortable in my own skin and unhealthy. I signed up for Weight Watchers on November 2, 2009 and had my life changed.
It hasn’t been all roses since then, but I have managed to lose all of my weight in a healthy way. And THAT is a success.
I am hoping through my blog and the support I hope to gain through it that I can continue to work on me: inside and out.